Ready to branch out a bit with the kids and move up from your neighborhood walking trail?
Dark Hollow Falls trail offers beautiful scenery while following along a creek to a picturesque waterfall. This trail is well maintained and is not too challenging for little people on foot. Trail safety includes watching out for mud and keeping everyone on the trail. You will work up an appetite on your return climb. Big Meadow is close by and the perfect place to picnic. Bring your own picnic, or purchase food at the meadow during store hours. As always, when hiking in Northern Virginia, bring plenty of water and give yourself a thorough tick check soon after your hike.
- What: Dark Hollow Falls Hiking Trail
- Who: Anyone who can walk without assistance (I haven’t seen jogging strollers used.)
- Where: Shenandoah National Park just north east of “The Meadow” at Big Meadows
- When: January through mid-November, but best to avoid cold, wet conditions
- Cost: $25 per vehicle for a 7 consecutive days pass. Free park entrance days are held on Jan 16, Feb 20, April 15th and 16th, April 22nd and 23rd, Aug 25, Sep 30, and Nov 11th and 12th
Trail Head: Shenandoah National Park, Skyline Dr., Stanley, VA 22851