The time to frolic among these flowers that worship the sun begins around mid July. It’s hard to gauge when they’ll actually start showing their smiling faces, but once they do, they tend to hang around until about Labor Day. Picking sunflowers at Burnside Farm is the perfect in-between-days summer activity, ideal for the two-three hour outing. It can provide time for you to mentally reset, let the kids spend some energy in the fresh air, decorate your home with sunflowers, and take some smashing photos. It’s easy to be filled with joy when surrounded by these majestic, yet cheery beauties.
Plenty to do:
Every adult admission includes three sunflower stems for the picking, but that’s not the only reason you’re there. There is plenty of activity to be found and experienced. Feel free to make a picnic out of your visit and extend your time there. Burnside Farms has a little something for everyone. Kids can jump and play. Adults can shop in their flower market. Everyone can ride the wagon! Keep an eye out for the two week window when the maze is open. And don’t forget… nearly every angle presents a great photo.
- Check ticket times for last minute additions of early/late hour access. These are opportunities to take photos without the crowds.
- August 9th we’ll have a mostly full moon rising just before the sun sets. Massive WOW factor photo op!
- Check with the farm’s photography policy. While they no longer charge a fee for professionals during these ticketed events, there are other rules to follow.
- Sunsets make for A-M-A-Z-I-N-G silhouette shots with your subjects placed along the ridge.
All activities are weather and COVID permitting, so please check Burnside’s site for changes before leaving. Doors open at 9 am and everyone needs to be out by dark. Ticket must be purchased ahead online and prices range $12-$16 per child over age 2 and $17-$21 for folks ages 13+ (scaled by time/date). Each adult ticket includes three stems for you to pick.
- Who: Anyone who loves fresh air and flowers
- What: Sunflower fields, maze, market, and play
- Where: Burnside Farms in Nokesville at 11008 Kettle Run Rd.
- When: Weather permitting until Labor Day
- Cost: Child $12-$16, Ages 13+ are $17-$21 per person (under two is free)
*Always check the vendor’s website for updates before coming.*
Christina Chee is a lifestyle and real estate consultant who loves to share insights that help others to live happy and empowered lives in Northern Virginia. Learn more about how you can make your Northern Virginia experience a great adventure — whether you’re new to the region or a life-long resident. Contact her here or visit www.virginialifestyles.com.